Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Life of the Absurd

Yesterday, I went to the bathroom... Yes, I know, too many of my stories start that way. As I was washing my hands, I noticed red ink-like splotches on the counter top. I wiped them down with soap and warm water and got up as much as I could. I then asked my maintenance tech to see if he could get them cleaned up. Our day porter was still here so he went in to scrub down the counter. He comes back and tells me that he rubbed it with water but it didn't work. He can't get the stains out. I told him to use one of the cleansers. I already tried soap and water. He asked which ones.

Well, because of different OSHA regs, I can't give him a cleanser to use. He has to be trained on the chemicals, have MSDS sheets on file, and his training recorded. He has to use a cleanser from his company. He didn't know how to use them he tells me. I told him to call his boss and find out which one to use then. I don't want permanent now-pink ink splotches on my bathroom counter tops. He does. Today, the splotches are gone. I don't think anything more of it.

Today his boss comes in. The day porter is going to be removed from our account and we'll have a new person in about two weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Good thing it wasn't spilled on the floor...they may have executed him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While today was a bit startling, the bigger story is that he has been screwing up. I'd asked to have him removed a couple of months ago. They asked me to give him another chance. I agreed. Since I hadn't called his boss, I didn't think that this would be the outcome. It was definitely annoying and a conversation I shouldn't have needed to have.

    ReplyDelete