Monday, March 30, 2009

Crazy Ranting Mommy

Yesterday afternoon, I was in Itty Bitty's room helping her clean, when I'm pretty sure that I lost my mind. She had been so sweet when she came downstairs and said to me, "Mommy, will you come help me clean my room?" I said sure and went on upstairs. We forced the door open wider, pulled out the storage bins and got to work. I knew that my answer should have been No at that point.

Once I got the initial layer of toys up, I found that all the pretend food items and dishes were dumped on the floor and shoved in the corner. Now, she absolutely could have tossed them all on the floor on her own. But she wouldn't have hidden them. However, the boy would have hidden them.

I holler for the boy to come up. He had been in her room playing with her a few days earlier. She'd been screaming at him because he had dumped out all of her play kitchen stuff and was holding all her little dolls and stuffed animals hostage in the giant tea pot, where they dishes had been stored. He then put it on his head and put on a feather boa and came to show me how silly he looked. When they'd been told to clean up the mess they'd made, he obviously had shoved it all in the corner and covered it up with other stuff.

I started in on the boy. "I'd rather you clean it up right and not get everything clean! You know better than to do that! Why would you dump out all of her bins? What were you thinking?" You get the picture. Itty Bitty, seeing the boy get yelled at, starts in "He did it all by himself Mommy. He did it."

I turned and looked at her. "Oh no he did not! I know you helped him make this mess. Don't even try to blame all of this on your brother!"

So, I tell him to go outside and pick up poop. This is not actually punishment. It is his regular chore. I just wasn't going to have him playing PS2 while I cleaned up the mess he made with his sister.

Itty Bitty starts up again, "Mommy, Holly (the dog) made all the poop by herself outside. I didn't do any of it. She made all the poop. Not me."

I just about peed myself laughing.



Thank goodness her self-preservation instinct is in tact. And that she is such good comic relief. Also, she loved Cookies & Candlelight. She wants to do that regularly now.

2 comments:

  1. She had a point, though. It's not her poop.

    I remember that distinctly-my Dad would be laying in to me about something or other, and one of my brothers would pipe up with, "I didn't do that, Dad."

    He would turn to them and say, "So I'm not talking to you, am I?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine came at me the other day with "Dad, you're not making any sense."

    I could only respond, "That's one of the privileges of being an adult. I don't have to explain myself to you."

    ReplyDelete